The Root Cause: “the fundamental reason for the occurrence of the problem.”
As a therapist, I like looking for root causes. In my view, if an individual seeks assistance because they want to remedy an outcome… that’s fabulous! For some, it may be beneficial to explore what lies beneath. This entails tracing the causal chain back to it’s root.
The Root Chakra or Muladhara represents human development, survival instincts and basic human needs. It reminds me of Maslows Hierarchy When deciding to make self-love products associated with each chakra, we chose an exfoliating scrub as the product to represent the first chakra. This chakra keeps us grounded; when balanced we are in harmony. An unbalanced root leads to disconnection and dysfunction.
If you were lucky enough to be born into a family where you were nurtured, you may have an easier time maintaining balance when you need to get through challenging times. There are many negative behavioral patterns and mental health issues that stem from disruptive and negative family experiences; especially for those of us who were mistreated and unprotected by our own. If your family or tribe provided safety, security, nurturing and love. . . there’s a good chance you are not only rooted in your tribe, but also within.
When we ground ourselves we give space for all the negative energy to be cleansed away allowing us to stand in our power with supportive roots. We can heal!
There are numerous grounding techniques. We chose exfoliation for the root as it signifies scrubbing away that which is no longer necessary, removing and letting go. Exfoliating removes barriers, unclogs, stimulates and increases circulation. The majority of our exfoliators are made with pink Himalayan sea salt and all natural and organic carrier oils like jojoba, olive, coconut, avocado and sweet almond.
Jojoba oil has anti inflammatory properties that help ease a plethora of skin issues (redness, chapped, chaffed, dry, rosacea, eczema). Jojoba also has vitamin E and B complex which assists in repairing damaged skin. Olive oil is composed of many antioxidants that fight against oxidation, premature aging and environmental skin damage. Coconut oil promotes collagen and is capable of preventing infection due to its antibacterial properties. Avocado oil is full of moisturizing agents and nutrients that are easily absorbed. It’s an anti inflammatory, prevents acne, accelerates healing, treats sun burns and reduces signs of aging. Sweet almond oil does all of the above and more.
In addition to using oils that greatly benefit the epidermis, we infuse oils with herbs and flowers grown in our pesticide free garden. The herbs used in our recipes change with our seasons. It summer time! This means we have many to choose from: rose, chamomile, mint, sage, marjoram, thyme are the herbs we frequently use during this time of year.
Rose petals are antiseptic, anti-inflammatory with antimicrobial properties. Chamomile is an antiseptic, carminative, analgesic, febrifuge, digestive, sudorific and vermifuge. Mint is a calming and soothing herb that is rich in antioxidants and nutrients. Sage balances the mind, reduces anxiety, promotes tranquility and relaxation. Marjoram benefits are attributed to its analgesic, antispasmodic, aphrodisiac, antiseptic, antiviral, bactericidal, carminative, diaphoretic properties. Thyme is an herb that has been historically associated with good health and spirit; believed to strengthen and purify the body.
Our current exfoliators:
- Iahla (pink Himalayan sea salt, black lava Hawaiian sea salt, epsom salt, jojoba oil, olive oil infused with lavender, gardenia, peony and hibiscus essential oils and Vitamin E)
- Patchouli & Coconut (Pink Himalayan sea salt, black lava Hawaiian sea salt, epsom salt, olive oil, jojoba oil, pure patchouli oil, coconut fragrance oil and vitamin E)
- Lavender & Menthol (pink Himalayan sea salt, black lava Hawaiian sea salt, epsom salt, pure lavender and menthol essential oils and vitamin E)
- First Love (black lava Hawaiian sea salt, pink Himalayan sea salt, epsom salt, coconut oil, jojoba oil, pure nagarmotha oil, pure orris root oil, all natural Australian sandalwood, pure violet oil, pure cardamom oil and vitamin E)
- The Root (black lava Hawaiian sea salt, red alaea Hawaiian sea salt, olive oil, jojoba oil infused with fresh rosemary, all natural citrus essential oil and vitamin E)